Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Girls Name: Bethany


From the name of a biblical town, possibly derived from Hebrew בֵּית־תְּאֵנָה (beit-te'enah) meaning "house of figs". In the New Testament the town of Bethany was the home of Lazarus and his sisters Mary and Martha. It has been in use as a rare given name in the English-speaking world since the 19th century, used primarily by Catholics in honour of Mary of Bethany. In America it became moderately common after the 1950s. - quoted from Behind The Name

In the 1980's it ranked in the late #80s and early #90s in the USA. More recently it has become less popular, ranking #393 in the USA, #89 in England and Wales, #99 in Northern Ireland and #88 in Scotland. 

I've known several Bethanys over the years, most of them are my age or slightly older. One of my good friends is named Bethany and she often gets called Beth which I love! A co-worker recently had a daughter and named her Bethany, her hair is red and that's the first red-haired Bethany that I've known. 

Bethany isn't at the top of my favorites list but it is sweet and I might consider using it for a daughter if my husband liked it, but I'd use the nickname Beth. I actually like Beth as a nickname for Bethany better than as a nickname for Elizabeth. I like the combos Bethany Rose, Bethany Ruth, Bethany Claire, Bethany Leah or Bethany Christine.



What do you think of the name Bethany? 

Do you know anyone with this name? 

What other names would you pair it with?


No comments: