Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Boys Name: Nathaniel


Variant of Nathanael, from the Hebrew name נְתַנְאֵל (Netan'el) meaning "God has given". In the New Testament this is the name of an apostle also known as Bartholomew. It has been regularly used in the English-speaking world since the Protestant Reformation. This has been the most popular spelling, even though the spelling Nathanael is found in most versions of the New Testament. The American writer Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864), author of 'The Scarlet Letter', was a famous bearer of this name. - quoted from Behind The Name

Nathaniel has been common for a long time but has become more popular in recent years. Today it ranks #89 in New Zealand, #94 in the USA and #129 in England and Wales. I've known a few guys named Nathaniel, one I grew up with and most are my age (25-30). Most I know do not go by a nickname or only go by Nate occasionally.

Nathaniel is on my family tree, the name of a great-grandfather (times about five) who was a Quaker and an interesting character. I really like the name and would consider using it for a son. I'd use combo Nathaniel Welcome or something like Nathaniel Henry, Nathaniel Laurence or Nathaniel Job.


What do you think of the name Nathaniel? 

Do you know anyone with this name? 

What other names would you pair it with?  



No comments: