Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Boys Name: Ciaran


Ciaran is a diminutive of Ciar. This was the name of two Irish saints: Saint Ciarán the Elder, the patron of the Kingdom of Munster, and Saint Ciarán of Clonmacnoise, the founder of a monastery in the 6th century. Ciar is derived from Irish ciar meaning "black".

The Ciaran spelling ranks #61 in Ireland and it ranked as high as #28 in 2002. The Kieran spelling is much more popular recently and it rated #206 in England and Wales and #576 in the USA which is quite something.

Ciaran has been a favorite of mine for a long time. I love the Irish spelling versus the Kieran spelling, mostly because of actor Ciarán Hinds and it being closer to my father's name Colin. I'm not sure how it would go over especially since some members of my family would have a harder time spelling and pronouncing it. I'm much less fond of the Kieran spelling, the K just makes it much less appealing to me. 

Ciaran Michael is my favorite combo but I also like Ciaran Henry, Ciaran Oliver, Ciaran Thomas and Ciaran William. I would leave off the line over the second a as in Ciarán.


What do you think of the name Ciaran? 

Do you know anyone with this name? 

What other names would you pair it with?



No comments: