Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Girls Name: Amy


English form of the Old French name Amée meaning "beloved" (modern French aimée), a vernacular form of the Latin Amata. As an English name, it was in use in the Middle Ages (though not common) and was revived in the 19th century. - quoted from Behind The Name

Amy has always been fairly common and in the 1970's-1980's it stayed in the top 10 in the USA, ranking as high as #2! Currently it ranks #30 in Ireland, #31 in Netherlands, #40 in Northern Ireland, #42 in Scotland, #77 in Switzerland, #82 in England and Wales and #148 in the USA.

Amy Wilbur Pearce was a great-grandmother on my father's side of the family and I would love to use the name to honor her. Another family spelling of the name was Amey, which I also like. I have a friend who is Amelia, nickname Amy and I'm also a Doctor Who fan so Amelia Pond, often called Amy, is another favorite of mine. So I go back and forth between using Amy as a full name or as a nickname for Amelia.

My favorite Amy combo is Amy Irene but I also like Amy Joyce, Amy Eleanor and Amy Ruth. And as for Amelia combos I like Amelia Joy, Amelia Eleanor, Amelia Ruth and Amelia Irene.



What do you think of the name Amy? 

Do you know anyone with this name? 

What other names would you pair it with?


No comments: