I have many favorite name styles and one of my favorites is Welsh names. I love their beautiful pronunciations, traditional Welsh spellings, interesting meanings and overall old-fashioned feel.
Here are some of my favorite Welsh girls names:
(each name is linked so you can check out their pronunciations & history)
- Aderyn - means "bird", I love the spelling more than the sound.
- Angharad - means "more love"
- Anwen - This lovely name appropriately means "very beautiful".
- Bronwen / Bronwyn - I've actually met a girl with this name and it was really lovely.
- Caron - Meaning "to love", this is one of my favorites. It does sound like Karen but I love this meaning and it's lovely spelling.
- Carys / Cerys - Meaning "love" this either my first or second favorite. It reminds me of Karis and I just love the Carys spelling! So pretty!
- Delyth - This is probably my favorite Welsh girls name. It means "pretty" and I love the way it's pronounced. Just so lovely!
- Eirian - means "bright, beautiful"
- Eirlys - means "snowdrop"
- Eluned / Luned - I just discovered this name. It means "image, idol" but I really like the way it's pronounced, so pretty! Luned is a shorter form and it's pretty.
- Enid - I love this name even though it's one of the most common Welsh names. It means "soul" or "life".
- Glenice / Glenys - I actually really like this name, it's so pretty and I love the meaning "pure, clean, holy".
- Glynis - I think I like this name better then the similar Glenice / Glenys, it's really pretty! I love the meaning "valley" too.
- Gwenda - I first heard this name in a Miss Marple story and I just loved it. It means "white, fair, blessed" and think it's really pretty.
- Gwendolen / Gwendoline / Gwendolyn - I've always loved this name and it's variants. So pretty and regal sounding!
- Gwyneth - As much as I like Gwendolyn I like this name more and the nickname Gwyn. Lovely!
- Lewella / Llewella - I like this feminine version of Llewellyn.
- Mairwen - so pretty!
- Meredith - This is quite popular right now but I really like it.
- Morgan - Another common Welsh name but it's nice. I also like it for a boy.
- Morwen / Morwenna - I like it's meaning "maiden", and especially the beautiful sound of Morwenna!
- Myfanwy - This one meaning "my woman" or "my love" is so sweet. I know a family who have a daughter named Myffwyn which is similar and I like that too.
- Owena - I love the name Owen and this is kind of nice as a feminine form.
- Rhiannon - I like the spelling and the meaning "great queen", I just wish it was easier to say!
- Rhosyn - I love name meaning "rose", so pretty!
- Seren - I love that this name means "star", it's so lovely!
- Siwan - I've just recently started liking this one. It's so pretty!
I'll be doing a post soon about Welsh boys names so stay tuned!
Do you like any of these names?
What are you're favorite Welsh names for girl?
Very Truly Your's,