Thursday, September 25, 2008

Nicknames From Novels

Just three nicknames, from novels written and set in Victorian England, which I thought were quite lovely, WDYT?

Nicodemus "Noddy" - from Our Mutual Friend

Dorothea "Dodo" - from Middlemarch
Celia "Kitty" - from Middlemarch
Theresa "Tess" - from Tess of D'Urbevilles

--------------------------------

My Thoughts:

I'm liking Nicodemus more and more, it's rather a guilty pleasure of mine like Solomon and other old Biblical names. Though the nn Nicky is cute it's also rather popular and too connected with Nicholas.

I think Dorothea is just lovely and Dodo is a cute childish nickname, not sure I like it or not.

Celia was prn. seel-ee-uh in the film adaptation instead of seel-yuh. My pastor's wife had family who prn. her name see-lah their from the southern USA so their accents most likely have something to do with it. Kitty just says Katherine to me but it is cute, I recently met an older lady named Kittie and the name suits her perfectly.

I've been liking Tess recently since seeing Tess of D'Urbevilles and her full name was Theresa. I've never been very fond of Theresa / Teresa but Tess and Tessa are rather cute.

So what do you think? Any you like?

No comments: