Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Boys Name: Colin


There's two thoughts on the origin of the name Colin. 

Colin (1) - Anglicized form of Cailean or Coilean, both name meaning "whelp, young dog" or "child" in Gaelic. This name is also used as a Scottish form of Columba which means "dove".

Colin (2) - A Medieval English diminutive of Col, a short form of Nicholas a Greek name that means "victory of the people".
- quoted from Behind the Name


The name Colin has become increasingly more popular over the last few years. It ranked #140 in the USA, #65 in Sweden and #60 in Switzerland. It has always been common in England, Scotland and Ireland. 

I have a real love for this name because my father is named Colin. My grandmother (his mother) chose his name because growing up her favorite book was The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgdon Burnett and she loved all things Scottish so all three of her kids were given Scottish names (Colin, Bonnie Jean and Kenneth). It's a name that my parents weren't over fond of but they did name my brother Colin Andrew (he goes by Andy). It's a name I'd love to use one day provided that my brother doesn't use it first (he has first dibs anyway). I like the combos Colin Laurence, Colin Stone, Colin Michael or Colin David. 



What do you think of the name Colin? 

Do you know anyone with this name? 

What other names would you pair it with?


No comments: